The firm was formed in 1988 on the merger of Moore & Price and Thompson & Co - both long-established Spalding chartered accountant firms.
Moore & Price, established over 80 years ago, was originally known as Stephenson Smart & Co. In the first 40 years of the 20th century, founder member Joseph Stephenson established more than 30 practices from a head office in Peterborough. Tony Moore, Moore Thompson’s first senior partner, worked with this practice for almost 50 years.
Thompson & Co dates from 1935, when Reg Thompson became involved in a practice that until then had been operated by Cooper-Parry, Hall, Doughty and Co, of Derby.
Today, we practise from three offices in Spalding: Bank House in Broad Street, The Coach House, and the Merchant’s House, in the Market Place. In 2001, we also acquired W J Ground and Co, another well-known Spalding firm, to further increase our services to the town.
We opened our Wisbech office, now based at Monica House, St Augustines Road, in August 1994 after acquiring a local practice. On the 1 May 2008, we came full circle in Wisbech, when a merger with Stephenson Smart & Co – the firm in which Moore Thompson has its roots – took effect. The practice and its staff move to our offices at Monica House.
In 2005, we moved into Market Deeping with the acquisition of Gilder & Co, basing our operation at Bank Chambers, Market Place, Market Deeping. In July 2007, we strengthened this operation further by taking over Emmerson’s Accountants, another accountancy practice in Market Deeping.
All our offices provide extensive services to many business and private clients, in the towns where they are based and in the wider surrounding areas.