Important update on fit note (med 3) form – What you need to know
We would like to bring your attention to some important updates regarding the fit note (med 3) form, as announced by the Government on 6 October 2023.
Key changes to the fit note include:
- The fit note should allow the employer and employee to discuss the employee’s health; and to consider ways to help them stay in work or return in a phased or permanent basis.
- GPs and medical professionals can now send you fit notes digitally (where their IT system supports this). Inked signature fit notes are still a legally valid document.
- Extended availability within secondary care settings (hospitals), due to come into effect later this year. In the interim, your employees may receive a pre-printed fit note if you are discharged from the hospital.
To ensure the validity of the fit note, you must check the following:
- The name of the issuer.
- The profession of the issuer.
- The address of the medical practice.
If your employees happen to receive a fit note based on the old template (med3 2017), please ensure they have it signed in ink by the healthcare professional.
Full Government guidance on the fit note updates can be found here.
If you need assistance on fit notes, absences from work and return to work support contact us.